Click the link below for pdf version, or scroll down for html.
Celebrating Our 37th Year
Of Sweat And Fun
Under The Sun
1981 ~ 2017
Kingston Resort Map
GPS: 9776 Kings Rd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572
Online Directions: www.kingstonplantation.com
Welcome To The 37th Annual
Taido Summer Camp
This camp was created to promote friendship and to create strong bonds between our students, their families, and our instructors. Summer camp also deepens our appreciation for nature through outdoor training. We will learn cooperation and teamwork by sharing rooms and spending time with our fellow students. We hope each person will find the summer camp experience to be challenging, enriching, and unforgettable.
One Of Our Greatest Concerns During Summer Camp Is Safety
· Make Sure That Your Car Is Travel Ready. Oil, Brakes, Tires, Spare Tire, Coolant…
· Parents & Room Leaders, Please Review The Rules & Regulations In This Booklet.
Each room is responsible for its own food and each room will have an opportunity to shop for food (Kroger is located nearby) on Friday. It would be wise to bring snacks and beverages (from Atlanta), since some students may not be able to shop until late Friday afternoon. For those not driving, be sure to pay the driver for your ratio of the gasoline. Cost of gas, Divided by the total number of passengers, Equals the cost per passenger.
Each unit will have a daily maid service & towel exchange. The maids will clean, but they will not make the beds. If you have any problems with your unit, please call maintenance. In the interest of your own safety, Do Not approach Sensei for any housekeeping or maintenance problems. Finally, we have listed a few things that you will need for Summer Camp that you may not normally carry to the beach.
· This Year’s Taido T-Shirt
· Your Gi (Uniform) And At Least 1 Spare
· Your Belt
· First Aid Tape For Your Feet & Toes
· Sports Cream (You’ll Need It)
· Inexpensive Sandals
Rules And Regulations
1. No charges of any kind can be billed to the room. Any product or service not included in our group’s free amenities must be paid out-of-pocket. Do Not make long-distance phone calls from the unit phone.
2. Parents must be on time picking up their children after workouts.
3. Hydration. Begin hydrating 2 days before Camp Starts.
4. Be sure to arrive at least 10 minutes before your test time, if you miss your test you will be tested later at the Taido School. You cannot make-up your test at Summer Camp if you miss your test time.
5. Participating students must be given priority for bedroom and bathroom access. For families of 4 or more, non-family roommates MUST be given one of the 2 bedrooms.
6. Please be considerate of those with whom you are rooming. Keep in mind that those students who will be practicing during the workouts must follow a strict schedule; allow them the use of the bathrooms before and after the workouts.
7. If you have any complaints, please address them to Mitsuaki Sensei immediately following the workouts. Saturday’s Banquet Dinner is not a safe time for this.
8. Please follow the schedule and make sure you are on time for your workouts.
9. Parents please make sure your child uses the restroom before coming to the workouts on the beach.
10. Students should not eat just before their workout or belt test. Please give students enough time to digest their food before practicing.
11. The “buddy-system” rule must be observed at all times. No one is allowed to go swimming at the beach or the pool alone.
12. No Smoking is allowed in the rooms. If you smoke, please smoke outside or on the deck.
13. The consumption of alcohol by minors is strictly prohibited. Adults must use good judgment concerning their conduct and the consumption of alcohol.
14. Everyone should use good common sense to prevent injuries.
15. If any student becomes sick or suffers an injury, please report to a Black Belt immediately! The First Aid Kit will be at the First Aid Umbrella (on the beach).
16. Protect yourself from the sun at all times.
17. Please keep up with your valuables. Our Lost & Found Department is quite busy every year with wallets, shoes, sunglasses, cameras, room keys, and children. Neither Taido nor any of our Black Belts are responsible for your lost valuables.
2017 Summer Camp Schedule
1:30pm Eastern Standard Time (All Subsequent Times) Arrive at Kingston Plantation Resort, having already eaten lunch. Everyone will proceed to meet at the Brighton Towers Conference Center. Do Not Try To Check-In, We Will Check-In As A Group, At The Conference Center. Only Extended Day Families arriving prior to Friday may check-in at the Embassy Suites Front Desk. Anyone arriving after 4pm on Friday will also go to the Embassy Suites Front Desk.
1:45pm Once we have settled we will have a welcome meeting. Following the meeting we will begin to call for the families whose rooms are ready. When your unit is ready, we will issue you the room keys and vehicle passes. Some units may not be ready immediately. If your unit is not ready, please be patient. Remember, patience is the first step towards harmony.
2:30pm Get ready for the first workout, which begins at The Conference Center. Change into your New Taido T-shirt, Gi Pants, and Belt. Only This Year’s Taido T-Shirt Is Allowed. You can change at either the conference center, or in your room. Remember to put on sunscreen and wear your sandals.
3:00pm First workout begins at The Brighton Tower Conference Center.
3:30pm After the warm-up and basic techniques in The Conference Center, we will head to the beach, in front of Brighton Tower, for the remainder of the workout.
5:30pm Beach Practice is finished. Parents must pick up their children from the beach on time. The beach workout area is located in front of The Brighton Tower, Don’t Forget Your Sandals On The Beach!
Students who have not yet received their room keys, go to the front desk at the Embassy Suites Tower. The Resort will do everything possible to have our units ready before the workout. Once again, Please Be Patient.
The remaining time on Friday is free time. Friday’s Dinner Is Not Provided. There are many restaurants and a Kroger located very close to the resort. There are also many amusement parks in the area that you might enjoy, but don’t stay out too late. Tomorrow’s training starts early!
7:00pm The Black Belt Dinner is at the Brighton Tower’s Lands’ End room.
11:00pm All Students under 18 must be in their rooms. Room Leaders please make sure that all roommates are accounted for before going to bed.
5:15am Wake Up And Prepare For Practice. In Full Uniform, No T-Shirts.
5:50am All Junior, Intermediate, & Adult Students Arrive On The Beach. Wear Your Full Uniform, No T-Shirts. It will still be dark, be careful walking to the beach.
6:00am Junior, Intermediate, & Adult Workout Begins.
6:55am All Children Meet On The Beach (in front of Brighton Tower) For Practice In Full Uniform, No T-Shirts. Practice Begins At 7:00am. There will be a special “Non-Student Workout” for teens and adults with Uchida Sensei shortly after the children begin.
8:25am The morning workout is finished. Parents please arrive at the beach at this time. The Children’s Belt Tests will begin in 5 min. Jr/Inter/Adult Students have 40mins until test time.
8:30am Children’s Oceanfront Belt Tests Begin. Any student who cannot or does not participate in the test will not receive promotion, and will have to retest in Atlanta.
9:00am Children’s Belt Tests finish. Parents MUST be present to pick-up your child from the beach. These students are free until our final practice at 2:25pm.
9:05am Junior/Inter/Adult Oceanfront Belt Tests Begin. Any student who cannot or does not participate in the test will not receive promotion, and will have to retest in Atlanta.
9:35am Junior/Inter/Adult Oceanfront Belt Tests Finish. Students Under 18 must wait for parents. These students are free until our final practice at 2:20pm.
9:45am Black Belt Degree Tests Begin. Everyone is welcome to watch this special event.
10:40am Black Belt Seminar Begins On The Beach. Black Belts Only.
2:20pm Meet at the beach for the Special Final Workout of Summer Camp. Parents Bring Your Camera, This Is The Best Time For Photos. All belt promotions will be presented during the last half of this workout.
5:15pm The End of the Final Workout. Parents MUST pick-up their children from the beach and get ready for the Celebration Banquet. Do Not Arrive Late.
7:00pm Our Celebration Banquet in the Conference Center begins. There will be a cash bar available with spirits and soft drinks. Please be on time, so that we can start our program as soon as possible. If you arrive late, seating a group or family together will be next to impossible. Dinner tables will be set up with seating for 10 per table. We cannot stress it enough: Don’t Be Late For Dinner. Parents, children may require a snack after the final workout. Lining up for dinner will begin at 7:30pm. It could be almost 8:00pm by the time you return to your table with food.
It is a long standing tradition (going back to the old days in Japan) that Black Belt Families will be first to line up for the buffet. Our Black Belts make our Summer Camp possible and we should show them abundant appreciation.
After dinner, our Taido Dance Team will open up the floor and get everybody in the mood to groove. The D.J. will spin and we will party until they kick us out.
The 2016 Taido Summer Camp Program Is Over. Remember, the Summer Camp Rules & Regulations still apply until check-out. The buddy system still applies. Don’t break the rules. Sensei only seems tame.
The Summer Camp Program Is Over!
11:00am Checkout Time. Don’t forget to return all keys.
Extended Stay Families:
Please understand that the resort may ask you to change rooms
Thank You For Participating In The
37th Annual Taido Summer Camp
Please Have A Safe Trip Back To Atlanta
Thunder & Lightning Contingency Plan
On The Next Page
If you wake up Saturday morning to Thunder & Lightning, please use the following schedule. If it is merely raining we will proceed with outdoor training and testing.
Thunder & Lightning Contingency Plan
5:15am Wake Up And Prepare For Practice, In Full Uniform.
5:50am All Junior, Intermediate, & Adult Students meet at the Brighton Tower Conference Center. Wear Your Full Gi, No T-Shirts. It may still be dark, be careful walking to the tower.
6:00am Junior, Intermediate, & Adult Workout Begins.
6:55am All Children meet at the Brighton Tower Conference Center for practice in Full Uniform, No T-Shirts. Practice Begins At 7:00am. The special “Non-Student Workout” for teens and adults with Uchida Sensei will have to be cancelled due to a lack of space.
8:25am The morning workout is finished. Parents please arrive at the Conference Center by this time. The Children’s Belt Tests will begin in 5 min. Jr/Inter/Adult Students have 40mins until test time.
8:30am Indoor Belt Tests Begin. Groups One thru Seven.
9:00am Groups One thru Seven finish. Parents MUST be present to pick-up their child from the Conference Center. These students are free until our final practice at 2:25pm.
9:05am Indoor Belt Tests Continue with Groups Eight thru Fourteen.
Thunder & Lightning Contingency Plan Continued
9:35am Groups Eight thru Fourteen finish. Parents MUST be present to pick-up their child from the Conference Center. These students are free until our final practice at 2:25pm.
9:40am Indoor Belt Tests Continue with Groups Seventeen thru Twenty Four.
10:10am Groups Seventeen thru Twenty Four finish. Parents MUST be present to pick-up their child from the Conference Center. These students are free until our final practice at 2:25pm.
10:15am Black Belt Degree Tests Begin. Everyone is welcome to join us and watch this special event.
11:15am Black Belt Seminar Begins In the Conference Center. Black Belts Only.
If The Thunder & Lightning Persist Throughout The Afternoon, Do Not Go To The Beach For The Final Workout . Go To The Conference Center
2:25pm The last workout of Summer Camp begins at the Conference Center. All belt promotions will be presented during the last half of this workout.
5:15pm The End of the Final Workout. Parents MUST pick-up their children from the Conference Center and get ready for the Celebration Banquet. Don’t Be Late.
7:00pm Our Celebration Banquet in the Conference Center begins. Refer to the schedule above for the banquet’s timeline of events.